I am sitting on a train from Edinburgh to Bath, of the 30 people of so who have got on and off this train in the last few hours I would say that 40% were charged extra because they had the wrong ticket.
Things I have heard:
- That ticket can only be used on East Coast…. we are X Country…. you need a new ticket.
- You are on the wrong train yours leaves in 30 minutes you will have to get off… unless you pay extra
- That ticket is for Off-peak.. now if you were going to Birmingham that would be Off-peak but this train is Peak to Leeds… the passengers bought tickets to B’Ham and got out at Leeds… it was cheaper than Peak to Leeds
- No we going South you need to go to Edinburgh that’s North …. fair enough!
- A soldier in full combat kit and more baggage than you could shake a stick at, got in at Darlington and was asked for his ID to prove he was in the Army… fortunately he had one… and his ticket was OK. I thought we might all die in the Cross-fire.
- No, this Ticket is for tomorrow you have to get off, passenger then shows seat booking for Today with the same ticket … Ticket collector nonplussed… have not seen him for a bit.
Oh well it was fun while it lasted.